McLaughlin Funeral Chapel
519 South Ohio
Steps to take at the time of death
Call 660-826-8000. The McLaughlin Funeral Chapel staff is always available, every hour of the day - every day of the year.
Keep in mind the circumstances of each death is different, therefore these are general guidelines.
- Death in an Institution: Tell the hospital or nursing home that you want McLaughlin Funeral Chapel to handle the arrangements; they will call us.
- Anticipated Death at Home: Tell hospice that McLaughlin Funeral Chapel will handle all the arrangements; they will call us. Often the family will elect to make prearrangements with us, this allows them to make important decisions under less stressful circumstances.
- Unanticipated Death at Home or Elsewhere: In these situations, immediately call 911. Tell the emergency personnel that you will be using McLaughlin Funeral Chapel. Often, the police can release the deceased to the Chapel. However, in certain cases, the body may need to go to the Medical Examiner's office to determine the cause of death.
- Death out of town: If the death occurs outside the Sedalia area, make one phone call to McLaughlin Funeral Chapel and our staff will make all the necessary arrangements.
The Funeral Arrangement Conference
We will set up an appointment time with you that is convenient for you and family members to either come to the funeral chapel or have us come to your home to discuss the funeral arrangements. You will need to bring the following information/items in order to complete state forms and the obituary.
- Social Security Number
- Military Discharge Papers, Form DD214
- Education history, clubs, organizations, and hobbies.
- Martial status, marriage date(s) and location(s).
- Recent photograph for newspaper (optional).
- Clothing, all normal items including undergarments, no shoes. For women, an out fit closed at the neckline and long sleeves are preferred. Jewelry, broaches and short necklaces work better than longer necklaces.
- Number of certified copies of death certificates. You may need several certified copies of the death certificate, photocopies are not considered legal documents. Below is a list of companies and circumstances which might require a certified copy to complete your transactions.
Each Life Insurance Company
Pension, IRA or other retirement benefits
Each bank account
Stocks and Bonds
Probate of Will
Final Tax Return
Your own files
As part of our services, we will obtain certified copies on your behalf. Although we try to obtain the copies prior to the completion of the funeral service, this is not always possible. Fees for certified copies vary state to state. In Missouri certified copies are $13 for the first copy, and $10 for each additional copy.